By: Nosipho Haya-Komisa
In a bid to root out crime and to lure the youth to the sport of boxing, Fireworks Promotions in association with BBB promotions, partnering with the Eastern Cape Department of Sport, Recreation, Arts and Culture continue to host quality tournaments in the province.
The two promotions companies are expected to host yet another boxing event at Ncumisa Kondlo community hall in Ngqushwa Local Municipality this coming weekend on Saturday the 4th following their last event which was staged in Ginsberg in August last year.
Fireworks Promotions Director Mlungisi Siyo said their wish is to host boxing tournaments across the province as they aim to keep the youth healthy, fit, and away from the streets.
Speaking during the premedical and media briefing at the Sports Federation building in Vincent yesterday, matchmaker Luyanda Kana said, “I am grateful to the Eastern Cape Department of Sports for funding this development tournament. We aim to root out poverty, crime, and unemployment in our society. These boxers will get some money after their fights and they will use that money to support their families and develop themselves.”
“The main fight that most people are looking forward to is the main bout which is the EC mini flyweight Title fight between defender Siphesihle Sityo from Duncan Village and Luyolo Mbobo from Sada,” said Kana.
He further said that two female boxers, Thobela Nyanda from Mdantsane and Yonelisa Poni from Alice will be the main supporting bout also in the mini flyweight division, followed by two promising boxers in the junior bantamweight division, Athi Klaas from Border Post and Abongile Tipa from Mdantsane.
